Women’s Film History International, Society for Cinema Studies: Thursday, March 6 – 4:00 – 5:45 pm – Annual Meeting: Room in Lowe’s Philadelphia Hotel: See Program for number.
This group now meets bi-annually, at the Giornate Del Cinema Muto in Pordenone, Italy, in October, and at the Society for Cinema Studies meetings. In Italy, new conferences were announced: “Non Solo Dive/No More Divas,” Bologna, Italy, December, 2007; “Border Crossings:
Rethinking Silent Cinema” February, 2008 (University of California-Berkeley); “Non Solo Dive/No More Divas,” Bologna, Italy, December, 2007 and Women and the Silent Screen V, June, 2008 (University of Stockholm). Attendees were concerned about the need for communication and for a comprehensive a list of titles in need of restoration. It was reiterated that an organizational structure is needed such as that proposed at Women and the Silent Screen IV in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Agenda Items for 2008 SCMS Meeting
1) Women and the Silent Screen V – Stockholm, June 11 – 13, 2008
2) Domitor – “The Regional Dimension in Earl Cinema,”
Girona, Spain- Perpignan, France, June 17 – 21, 2008
3) Restorations: New York Women in Film and Television projects
4) Book publication: The Velvet Seat, Women Film Pioneers Sourcebooks, etc.
- Alice Guy-Blanche Retrospective – Whitney Museum of Art, New York, 2009
- “Revisiting Film Melodrama: Interdisciplinary and Transnational Aspects, Stylistic Issues and Contemporary Extensions” Brussels, Belgium November 27 - 30, 2008
- Women and the Silent Screen VI: 2010
Jane Gaines, Visiting Professor
Film Division/School of the Arts
513 Dodge Hall
2960 Broadway MC 1805
New York, NY 10027
FAX (212) 854-7702
Phone (212) 854-3457